Last week I encouraged others to respond to four questions before making any resolutions for this New Year. Since I should practice what I preach, here goes.
What were the highlights?
- Learning that our oldest son and his wife were expecting their first child and then later having a chance to visit them in their new home.
- Gathering with our younger son and his girlfriend to celebrate their love and our families just weeks before her mother passed away after several years of battling cancer.
- Building homes in Nicaragua and repairing homes in Appalachia. Work which both deepens my understanding of the world in which I live and restores my soul.
- A few days away to walk the beach with my wife in the midst of a very busy fall.
What am I thankful for?
- The work that I am able to do and the graciousness of the congregation where I am pastor.
- Each day, for food enough and a safe place to live.
- My children…and my family.
- That I have the resources and the strength to help to make a difference.
- For my faith
What makes me sad?
- The devastation and destruction caused by war.
- That we no longer just disagree with one another.
We dislike and mistrust and disrespect one another.
- That I can not do more.
What do I want to remember?
- That I have much for which to be thankful.
- The hopes and dreams Carlos has for his children.
- The trust people have in me that translates to new dreams becoming reality.
- That creating Hope matters.